Monday, June 2, 2014

Snoring

My child is the loudest sleeper... I take that back. The SECOND loudest sleeper. Only second to my father of course. If this is a genetic trait then I would like to take the time to thank you for passing this down our bloodline to Todd. Although it has hindered me from having a good nights sleep at times, it has helped me rest easy more times than not. Even when Todd was a baby I never had to do the whole 'get up make sure the baby is still breathing' routine... I could hear him from across the room.

I still can.

Tonight happens to be one of the nights that it's keeping me awake. Oh well, I'll be thankful for it again once we get home and Todd starts sleeping in his own room. And yes, I plan on making it back into my own bed at some point.

His snoring reminds me of so many memories. Memories from when he was a baby. Memories from him falling asleep in public places. Road trips. So many memories to choose from.

This kid could fall asleep anywhere. In my lap. In the car. Under a bench on the concrete. Half way under a rug. Sitting up in the high chair in the middle of chewing his food. Sometimes I wouldn't even notice. I would turn around for a few seconds and then all of a sudden I would hear the snoring. I remember when I was a kid, we would go on long car rides and my parents would always tell me to go to sleep because it would make it go by faster. I never really slept well in cars. This never really worked for me. But, Todd. Oh, Todd. Fifteen minutes into the drive he would say, 'I'm just going to go to sleep to make it go faster.' He was too funny. He was such a good child. Yes he threw his tantrums, but he was so polite and so easy going. When something didn't go his way he would say, 'I'll just get over it.' Where he got these phrases from I couldn't tell you.

We were looking into getting his tonsils removed prior to all the chaos we've been going through. Even the ENT doctors said they would probably want them out, but he's been going through so much that's pretty far down on the list of things we're worried about at the moment. Nurses would ask me how I could sleep with him being so loud. Honestly, as I said earlier, it's comforting. I don't have to get up and check that he's breathing. In the hospital he was attached to monitors so I could just look up at a screen and know. It's not like that here at rehab. It's not like that in the car. It won't be like that at home. Although the sound is comforting to me, it isn't so comforting to our nurses. Until they got to know Todd several were convinced he was struggling to breathe or in respiratory distress and I would have to wave them off and tell them to leave him alone.

I miss this kid so much.




2 comments:

  1. These pictures are too precious! And funny! What a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss him too, but after the cisis, i am blessed to get to know him againz O:-)

    ReplyDelete