Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Don't Stop Believing

One of my all time favorite songs!

We all know what the song says and what it's about, but for me, just the title is worth screaming. It came on in the car on our drive home from rehab. I was screaming the lyrics at the top of my lungs... ignoring all the looks I was getting from other drivers. I feel like it was a sign.

The last few days at rehab were happy ones for me... I knew we were going home. But, until the point that they told me our discharge date... I was depressed. I felt defeated. I was exhausted. I didn't feel like we were getting what we should have out of it. I was an hour and a half from home. Brian couldn't stay because of externships. It was depressing and sad. We left rehab due to lack of progress. Plain and simple. Most parents would have probably fought them on this decision, but regardless of what their notes say... I knew Todd was progressing, but I also knew he would progress more at home... and he has. Still, the 'lack of progress' phrase resonates in your head. Long drive = time to think. This is not necessarily a good thing. Would my child ever progress? Would he ever come out of this 'minimally conscious state'? (which I never believed was an accurate description for him - he's freaking alert) Would he ever talk to me again? Eat again? Thinking of all of this can be depressing. It takes it's toll on you. I needed this pick me up. This sign. Don't stop believing... I haven't yet.

This kid amazes me everyday. He's doing so much better than everyone said he would. He's doing so much better than we ever imagined he could. & I intend on fighting to progress that until I can't anymore.

He got to get on a customized bike for disabled children this morning. HE initiated some of the pedaling, which is absolutely amazing. I never expected him to do it so soon. He also tries to push himself with his legs when we put him on the swing. The fact that he isn't even 4 months out from injury and doing all of this is absolutely amazing!

So... for my child that refuses to let me stop believing... here are some pretty awesome pictures and videos... a proud parent has to show off every once in awhile!
First video is his reaction to a sweet note from his 1st Grade teacher. The second video is him using an eye gaze computer to control the screen using just his eyes. 

2 comments:

  1. You CAN'T stop believin! May God give you strength, understanding, and peace as you continue on your journey with Todd. No matter what anyone says, you will arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words to express the joy i feel after reading this!

    ReplyDelete