Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Lion Hat

          I guess at some point I should explain the 'Heart of a Lion' & 'Lion Head/Hat/Heart' terms... I guess some people know already. It wasn't even anything I did, but it grew, and it spread like wildfire... and the definition of lion heart? Oh, too good to be true.
          Todd has a hat with matching gloves that he wears when it's cold.... and for kickball games in the middle of March. I still, to this day, do not remember who bought it for him, it certainly wasn't me. I thought it looked ridiculous at first, but then it grew on me. Todd loved wearing it so what could I say? He did look rather adorable. He would come home from school and say someone told him his hat looked ridiculous... I asked him, 'Well what do you think?' He would say, 'I don't care, I'm going to wear it again.' That's my stinker. 
          The hat became quite popular with the staff at O2B. It was like Todd's recognizing feature. There are so many kids, but he's the one with the Lion Hat! All kids get nicknames whether it be from parents, other kids, or counselors... this one came from them. Every day we would pick him up they would say something about that hat. Lion hat turned into Lion head pretty quick. Todd loved it. Todd loves nicknames. He's given me more than I can remember. 
           Todd tried out for and made the JV Purple Hornets kickball team. When they were first having games and practices it was pretty cold so he would wear the hat for its meant purpose. Then they started asking him to wear it to games. He became not only one of their players, but almost a mascot too. These kickball games were quite the event. I first one I was able to make it to was the Friday before all of this happened. They had referees and even a PA system with background music and announcements. When Todd came up to bat/kick they said, 'Next up, Todd 'Lion Head/Hat' Miller!' It was amazing. I felt like I was watching a legitimate adult sporting event. Might I also mention that it was extremely hot that day and in order for Todd to not get too hot he chose to wear nothing under his jersey so he could wear the hat. This kid. He amazes me. 
          The following Tuesday, March 18, is when he went into cardiac arrest. He was at O2B, outside, on the kick ball field. They were getting ready to practice. From what I understand he had the hat on and was ready to go. Later, the staff told me they were all fighting over who got to hold onto the hat and bring it to us since it didn't make it in the ambulance. This little hat, this piece of cloth.... it was so important to so many people. At this point Lion Head/Hat became Lion Heart.
          The next week the staff was busy at work doing stuff for Todd. They made this enormous poster for him with tons of signatures from the kids and staff and they made Lion Heart ribbons to wear. The name continued. O2B also decided to use one of their events as a fund raiser for Todd as well. The term was just fitting. They had stations to color a heart for Todd. They had posters saying Heart of a Lion on them. It was amazing. I knew my child was loved. I knew how much my family loved him, his friends... heck I knew how much I loved him, but I had no idea just how much these people loved him. 
          We've made several room changes since being in the Pediatric ICU. At one point, we were in the Lion Room. I felt, after all of this, it was very fitting. 
          The term 'Heart of a Lion' is an idiom referring to someone who is courageous in the face of adversity. Someone strong a brave despite how hard the situation might be. It means you are passionate about life. That, Todd was. He is all of these things. Especially now, now that he is laying in a hospital bed fighting for his life. 
          This hat deserves a shrine. Once he's up and moving I'm sure I won't be able to get it off of him!



1 comment:

  1. Lauren, thank you for sharing this story. Todd definitely has the heart of a lion & I believe he gets that from his mom. We love you & Todd & you all are in our thoughts & prayers.

    Love,
    Leah, Carl, & Jillian

    ReplyDelete